Bernardo Silva: The best in Premier League now
Bernardo Silva’s high form in the game against PSG
On matchday 5 of the Champions League’s group stage, Manchester City hosted Paris Saint-Germain at their Etihad home stadium. Man City controlled the game well with overwhelming passing and pressing abilities. They won 2-1 afterward despite being led at the beginning of the second half.
Silva’s performance was the clearest evidence for the teamwork factor in Pep Guardiola’s tactic. It was completely different from PSG’s when they just waited for the shining of their attacking stars.
In this game, Man City had no Jack Grealish, Kevin De Bruyne, or Phil Foden, even Gabriel Jesus was a substitute before having a chance to come out and score the decisive goal for the club. Meanwhile, Silva was in the starting squad and his high form did not disappoint Pep and fans’ expectations.
The Portuguese served as a false nine in the match. He controlled the game, passed the ball, and directly joined the attacking situations as well. He had an assist and made 2 clear opportunities for his teammates to score. He even did not make any wrong pass in this match when all 47 passes from him were on target. The 1994-born forward appeared everywhere on the pitch. Thanks to Bernardo’s deft, first-time cutback from Riyad Mahrez’s cross, the ball fell perfectly for Jesus, who beat Keylor Navas from close range to complete a fine comeback win for the Citizens. They qualified for the knockout stages as Group A winners with 12 points after 5 games.
Bernardo Silva is Man of the match against PSG
BT Sport pundit and former Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand, praised Silva after the match: “After Mo Salah he's been the best player in the Premier League this season, he's been that good.” He added: “Playing in and around the box, you have to tip your hat to him, he’s a fine player and he's having a fantastic season.”
Gabriel Jesus thanked his assist: “If I can score and come in and help my team, that’s what I want to do every time I go on the pitch. I just want to help, try to help and it was a great ball from Bernardo so I had to score.”
Whereas, Guardiola said: “We attack well in the spaces and the quality from Bernardo... when you talk about the right technique, it is that, the right tempo and doing it in the right moment to give your teammate the best chance to score the goal.”
All agreed that Silva’s performance was excellent and Man City completely deserved their victory.
The revival of a great player
In the past September, Pep had been admitted that Bernardo Silva wanted to leave Etihad while his contract remained until June 2025. The reason was that Man City bought Jack Grealish and accessed Harry Kane made his chance to play in the starting line-up was uncertain.
The Portuguese forward had to be on the bench many times last season. His high form was declined and then new factors were used more. However, the best Silva Man City was backed this season. He had played almost all games for the Etihad home team in the Premier League and the Champions League since the beginning of this season. He contributed 4 goals and 2 assists after 16 games. In the context that Grealish has not met Pep’s expectations and De Bruyne goes downhill due to his injury, Bernardo Silva is the most important link in Man City’s system this time.
Silva then denied some offers from Atletico Madrid and some other European clubs to stay at Manchester City. It is clear that the Citizens are now one of the strongest teams in Europe and Silva will do everything to compete for a starting spot as well as to shine at this wonderful team.
What should you know more about Bernardo Silva?
1. Who is Bernardo Silva?
- Bernardo Silva full name: Bernardo Mota Veiga de Carvalho e Silva
- Bernardo Silva age: 27 (DoB: 10 August 1994)
- Bernardo Silva height: 5’ 8”
- Bernardo Silva position: Attacking midfielder, winger
- Bernardo Silva current team: Manchester City
- Bernardo Silva number: 20
Bernado is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays as an attacking midfielder for Manchester City in the Premier League and for the Portugal national team.
He was a significant player in City becoming the first men's team in England to win a domestic treble in 2019. He was then named Manchester City's Player of the Year and was a member of the PFA Premier League Team of the Year. In the 2020-21 season, he also kept an important role on Man City’s squad reaching the Champions League final.
Bernardo Silva Man City
2. Bernardo Silva stats
3. Bernardo Silva’s Honours
- Primeira Liga winners (2013–14)
- Ligue 1 winners (2016–17)
- Coupe de la Ligue- 2nd (2016–17)
- 3 Premier League (2017–18, 2018–19, 2020–21)
- 1 FA Cup (2018–19)
- 4 EFL Cup (2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20, 2020–21)
- 2 FA Community Shield (2018, 2019)
- 1 UEFA Champions League- 2nd (2020–21)
- UEFA European U-21 Championship 2nd (2015)
- 1 UEFA Nations League (2019)
- 1 FIFA Confederations Cup- 3rd (2017)
- SJPF Segunda Liga Player of the Month: Oct 2013, Dec 2013 & Jan 2014
- UEFA European U19 Championship Team of the Tournament (2013)
- UEFA European U21 Championship Team of the Tournament (2015)
- UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Month: Jan 2017
- UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year(2016–17)
- PFA Team of the Year: 2018–19 EPL
- Manchester City’s Player of the Year: 2018–19
- Alan Hardaker Trophy: 2019
- 2019 UEFA Nations League Finals Player of the Tournament
- 2019 IFFHS Men's World Team